Benefits of Porcelain Crowns: Strength and Beauty
With their natural luster, porcelain crowns give patients a way to restore a tooth’s natural function without losing the beauty of a natural tooth.
In the past, metal was the only option for protecting a severely decayed or damaged tooth. Though strong, metal fails miserably in resembling a real tooth. Porcelain, on the other hand, has the natural luster that mimics a natural tooth and can also be color-matched and sculpted to resemble your own teeth.
What Is a Crown?
Dental crowns are caps tailored to fit over severely decayed or damaged teeth, protecting them from further decay and reducing sensitivity. Basically, they replace the external portion of the tooth down to the gums. Crowns improve the appearance of the tooth and strengthen a tooth weakened by decay.
Our patients in Jackson are pleased with the natural, comfortable fit offered by tailor-made porcelain crowns. A well-crafted crown looks beautiful and is functional too. By crafting a crown for your tooth, we restore your natural bite and ensure a comfortable fit between upper and lower teeth.
Benefits of Porcelain Crowns
- Protection. A porcelain crown acts like a cover, protecting a damaged tooth from additional decay, and may help patients avoid a root canal or losing the tooth entirely.
- Natural looking. Unlike crowns made out of stainless steel, gold, or resin, porcelain is semi-translucent and most closely resembles the luster of a real tooth. This is especially important for improving your smile when a front tooth is involved.
- Color. For a crown to look natural, it must match the color of your other teeth. Porcelain crowns can be tinted to match your teeth.
- Durable. Porcelain crowns have the strength and resilience necessary to function well in your mouth. If added strength is needed, such as for the molars where bite stresses are greater, a porcelain-over-metal option will offer the extra durability without losing the natural look.
- Easy care. No special care is needed. The good oral habits that promote a healthy mouth will also maintain the crown: Brushing twice a day with a soft toothbrush, flossing once a day, and regular dental exams.
- Stain resistant. Porcelain is stain resistant so you won’t have to worry about it changing color.
- Comfort. A crown crafted by a skilled cosmetic dentist feels just like a normal tooth. Most people cannot tell the difference.
- Strength. Decay weakens a tooth. The crown will strengthen the tooth, preventing further destruction. If additional strength is needed, a post may be added to the tooth before the crown is applied.
- Function. By covering damaged teeth, a porcelain crown restores your biting and chewing abilities.
- Beautiful. With their natural appearance, porcelain crowns restore not only your tooth, but your confidence.
Learn More about Crowns
Our porcelain crowns are tailor-made to your needs, restoring function and beauty to a damaged tooth. If decay or a traumatic event has damaged a tooth, please call us to find out more about crowns. A consultation is the first step to finding the best solution for you.