Traditional and Implant-supported Dentures
If you are missing most or all of your teeth, Dr. Danny O’Keefe can provide traditional or implant-supported dentures at our Jackson, MS, office to rebuild and rejuvenate your smile. We offer both traditional and implant-supported dentures, and Dr. O’Keefe will help determine which option is best for you. To learn more about how dentures can restore your smile and your quality of life, schedule an appointment with Dr. O’Keefe.
Traditional dentures rest on the gums, held in place with a combination of suction and a mild adhesive. To create a traditional denture, Dr. O’Keefe will take an impression of your gums. Our partnering dental lab will use this information to create a set of dentures that achieves a proper fit and provides comfortable balance between your jaws. Traditional dentures are typically more affordable than implant-supported dentures.
Implant-supported dentures are the best way to rebuild a severely compromised smile. This type of restoration is secured using dental implants, which are biocompatible titanium posts inserted into the jawbone. Dental implants replace missing tooth roots to provide the ultimate foundation for dentures. Dr. O’Keefe can place implants using the advanced All-on-4® method, which can restore patients' smiles in a single appointment. This involves placing just four dental implants to support your dentures. In many cases, the implants can support dentures immediately following surgery.
Benefits of Implant-supported Dentures
Although they are typically more expensive and require oral surgery, implant-supported dentures offer many important advantages over traditional dentures:
- Improved stability: Implant-supported dentures are anchored directly to your jaw, so they require no adhesives.
- An enhanced appearance: Greater security can give these dentures a more realistic and attractive appearance. This can also lead to a boost in confidence.
- Jawbone tissue retention: Following tooth loss, the jaw will eventually begin to atrophy, or shrink. The absence of tooth roots can trigger the body to begin distributing bone cells elsewhere in the body, slowly weakening the jaw and causing it to reduce in size. To date, dental implants are the one and only restorative treatment that can halt this process. This is a very important reason to consider dental implants if you have lost one or more teeth.
- Superior chewing ability: Traditional denture wearers have difficulty eating foods like apples, steaks, nuts, and jerky. With implant-supported dentures, you can enjoy all the sticky, chewy, and tough foods you choose, without having to worry that your dentures will slip out of place.
- Greater comfort: Implant-supported dentures do not tend to irritate gum tissue the way that traditional dentures can. The excellent stability of implant-supported dentures also makes chewing and speaking much more comfortable.
We can Help You Choose the Right Denture
If you are suffering with missing teeth, Dr. O’Keefe and our dental team can help you decide whether a traditional or implant-supported denture is the best fit for your needs. Contact us today to learn more about dentures, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. O’Keefe.